Course Substitution Petitions
A Course Substitution Petition may be used to:
2. Apply a course within UCLA but outside of the Philosophy department toward the Philosophy major or minor
• Substitutions are considered by faculty on the basis of content, demonstrated engagement of original texts, and the level of rigor of the course. This is decided on a case-by-case basis.
• If you are a Philosophy major or minor, none of your group requirements can be fully satisfied by courses outside of the UCLA Philosophy department. Majors must take at least one course from each of the four groups at UCLA, and minors must take all three group requirements at UCLA.
• We look at substitution requests for Phil 7, 21, 22, and 31 very closely, but are more flexible with the “one additional lower division” requirement.
• We very rarely approve substitutions for Phil 100A, 100B, or 100C, but certainly try!
• Substitutions using a lower division course to fulfill an upper division requirement are typically not approved. If approved by the Philosophy Department, the decision will be subject to additional approval by the College.
• Decisions on courses that have not yet been posted to the degree audit are tentative pending evaluation of transferrability and course level designation (upper vs. lower division) by the admissions office.
- If the course is articulated on assist.org, please contact the Staff Undergraduate Advisor in Dodd 329 or at firstname.lastname@example.org with a printout or screen capture from assist.org. The course will be automatically approved—no further action is needed.
To submit a course substitution petition please follow the instructions below:
Log in using your myUCLA logon ID.
Go to the upper left hand corner where it says “Administration” and click on “Enroll me in this course.”
Scroll down to “Self-enrollment (Participant)” and enter the following enrollment key (case sensitive and no space between the letters/numbers): Student123
Please read the Petition Use, Instructions, and Other Information sections before proceeding to the next step, which is listed below the Undergraduate Course Petition link.
Click the Undergraduate Course Petition link once you have read all information.
After completing your petition, click Add submission.
You can then drag and drop the files or select one of the upload buttons in the upper left hand corner of the file submissions box.
To make changes to the petition or materials uploaded, click the Edit submission button.
When you have finished uploading all of your materials and making modifications and/or comments, select Submit assignment.
Please make sure to complete and attach a completed course substitution petition and the course syllabus for each course you are petitioning. Written work and other materials may also be included if the syllabus is sparse. If you are petitioning a course to as equivalent to Philosophy 22, make sure a list of works read is included in the syllabus. If not, you must submit a reading list with your petition. If you are petitioning a course for Philosophy 31, please be sure to include the final exam and/or other coursework.
*Please allow for 4–6 weeks for a decision from faculty. You will be contacted via email from email@example.com with a decision. If approved, please check that the substitution is properly listed on your degree audit report.