Major and Minor
Preparation For The Major (4 Courses)
- Philosophy 7 – Introduction to Philosophy of Mind or
Philosophy 21 – Skepticism and Rationality
- Philosophy 22 or 22W – Introduction to Ethical Theory (Note that Phil 22 is offered during summer and only once during the academic year. Phil 22W is also offered once during the year, and is restricted to freshmen and sophomores. Contact the philosophy counselor at email@example.com to find out when Phil 22 will be offered next.)
- Philosophy 31 – Logic, First Course
- One additional lower division Philosophy course
Major (13 Courses, 52 Units)
- Philosophy 100A, 100B, and 100C
- Seven courses, two from three of the four groups and one from the remaining group:
- Group I–History (Courses M101A-C119; 201-220)
- Group II–Logic, Semantics, and Philosophy of Science (Courses 124-138; 221A-233)
- Group III–Ethics and Value Theory (Courses 150-168; 241-258)
- Group IV–Metaphysics/Epistemology (Courses 170-M187; 271-289)
- Three additional upper division or graduate level Philosophy courses
- Contract courses (Philosophy 199) can be applied toward the elective portion of the major only (not the group component). The Department will accept a maximum of 8 units of 199 on the major.
- All prep and major courses must be taken for a letter grade (see below for P/NP policies Spring 2020-Spring 2022).
- Philosophy courses taken at another institution that transfer in by title may be petitioned for the prep (lower division) or major (upper division). Click here for online course substitution instructions.
- Students can declare the major upon completion of the four preparatory courses listed above with a GPA of 2.0 or higher. Students must also hold a 2.0 GPA or higher overall. The major can be declared by contacting the philosophy counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or speaking with an adviser in Dodd 329.
- Click here for a checklist of major requirements.
- Click here for a list of frequently asked questions.
- Click here for information regarding Departmental Honors.
Prep for the Minor (2 courses):
- Philosophy 7 or 21
- Philosophy 22 or 22W or 31 (Note that Phil 22 is offered during summer and only once during the academic year. Phil 22W is also offered once during the year, and is restricted to freshmen and sophomores. Contact the philosophy counselor at email@example.com to find out when Phil 22 will be offered next.)
Minor (6 courses, 24 units):
- 1 from each of three different groups:
- Group I: History of Philosophy (Courses 100A-C119, 201-220)
- Group II: Logic, Semantics, Philosophy of Science (Courses 124-138, 221A-233)
- Group III: Ethics/Value Theory (Courses 150-168, 241-258)
- Group IV: Metaphysics and Epistemology (Courses 170-M187, 271-289)
- Two additional upper division Philosophy courses from any group.
- One additional upper or lower division Philosophy course.
- All courses on the minor must be taken for a letter grade (see below for P/NP policies Spring 2020-Spring 2022).
- Students can declare the minor upon completion of at least 12 units of Philosophy at UCLA with a grade of C or better. The overall GPA must be above a 2.0. The minor may be added by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or stopping by Dodd 329.
- Philosophy courses taken at another institution that transfer in by title may be petitioned for the minor.
- Click here for online course substitution instructions.
- Click here for a checklist of minor requirements.
- Click here for a list of frequently asked questions.
Philosophy Major and Minor Advising
Spring 2022 Student Advising
In Spring 2022, in-person drop-in advising should be generally available during normal business hours on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays in Dodd 329.
Spring 2022 Philosophy virtual drop-in advising via Zoom office hours will be available the days and times listed below:
- Mondays, 2:00pm – 3:00pm
- Wednesdays, 10:00am – 11:00am
- Thursdays, 3:00pm – 4:00pm
- Fridays, 11:00am – noon
During these times, the Philosophy office hours can be accessed here – Zoom Link. Please note, you must use your UCLA login credentials to access the Zoom. Only authenticated UCLA students can join via this link. You will be placed in a virtual waiting room until the counselor is available to see you.
In-person and Zoom advising appointments can be scheduled by emailing the Philosophy counselor at email@example.com.
Contact the Philosophy Counselor via Message Center:
With UCLA login: Message Center
Without UCLA login (Public Access): Message Center
Pass/No Pass Spring 2020-Spring 2022
The Philosophy Department will allow courses taken on a Pass/No Pass basis during the Spring 2020 through Spring 2022 quarters to count toward the Philosophy major and the minor. Philosophy courses taken P/NP in Spring 2020-Spring 2022 will satisfy the same requirements that those courses would count toward if they were taken for a letter grade.
Please note the following:
- In order to receive a Pass for a course, your work must be equivalent to a C (i.e., C- and below merits No Pass), whereas letter-graded courses in which you receive a D- or better do count toward the major and the minor.
- The Winter 2022 deadline to change the grading basis (letter grade or P/NP) MyUCLA without a petition is Friday of Week 9 (March 4th).
- In general, a student in good standing may enroll in one course each term on a P/NP basis; a student in good standing who has not elected the P/NP option in a preceding term may take two courses P/NP.
- If you are at all uncertain about what to do, we encourage you to consult with the instructor or undergraduate faculty advisor (Professor David Kaplan) before using the Pass/No Pass option.
Further details regarding the college’s P/NP policies can be found on their Grading & Repeats page.