Welcome to UCLA and the Department of Philosophy! In our program you will have the opportunity to learn from renowned Philosophers in a variety of areas. We are excited for you to join us!
New students are strongly encouraged to attend New Student Orientation, during which time they will have an opportunity to meet with a philosophy undergraduate advisor. Please visit the New Student Orientation website for orientation dates, how to sign up for a session, and other important information.
Students who are unable to attend orientation must contact the New Student and Transition Programs office at (310) 206-6685 to receive an enrollment appointment for Fall. Incoming students may receive advising on the philosophy major beginning in July by contacting the undergraduate advisor, Doug Myers, at email@example.com or (310) 206-1356.
Students planning to take summer courses may contact Doug for advising as soon as they have submitted their Statement of Intent to Register.
Contact the Philosophy Counselor via Message Center:
With UCLA login: Message Center
Without UCLA login (Public Access): Message Center
Major & Minor Requirements
For information on philosophy major and minor requirements you may click on the links below to access the major and minor checklists.
Incoming transfer students not currently declared as philosophy majors may switch into the major at New Student Orientation by meeting with the philosophy undergraduate advisor. A meeting with the undergraduate advisor is built in to the regular orientation schedule. For transfer students hoping to switch into philosophy, it is in your best interest to have at least two major preparation courses completed before Fall. It is possible to make up missing courses during UCLA Summer Session. See more information about summer enrollment below.
Incoming freshmen students may switch into the philosophy major at orientation by notifying their New Student Advisor.
Students interested double majoring must complete all major preparation courses plus two upper division courses in both majors before the double major can be declared.
Students who would like to declare the philosophy minor must complete at least 12 units of philosophy coursework at UCLA before the minor can be declared.
All courses articulated on assist.org will be honored. Courses not articulated on assist.org may be petitioned for credit for the philosophy major or minor. Petitions are evaluated on the basis of course content, engagement with original texts, and level of rigor. Please keep in mind that any decisions made by the Philosophy Department prior to when your transfer work has been posted on the degree audit are tentative pending evaluation of transferrability and course level designation by the admissions office.
To petition a course for major or minor credit, please follow these instructions:
- Visit :https://ccle.ucla.edu/course/view/philosophy-petitions
- Log in
- Go to the upper left hand corner where it says “Administration” and click on “Enroll me in this course”
- Once on that page scroll down to “Self-enrollment (Participant)” and enter the following enrollment key (case-sensitive and no space between the letters/numbers): Student123
- Please read the Petition Use, Instructions, and Other Information sections before proceeding to the next step, which is then listed below the Undergraduate Course Petition
- Click the Undergraduate Course Petition link once you have read the sections listed in step 5
- Once you have filled out a petition, click Add submission
- You can then drag and drop the files or click either of the upload buttons in the upper left hand corner of the file submissions box
- To make changes to the petition or materials uploaded click the Edit submission button
- When you have finished uploading all your materials and making and modifications and/or comments make sure to click Submit assignment
- Do not un-enroll yourself until you have heard back whether the course(s) has/have been approved or denied. Messages may be sent to you through the site regarding your petition if more information is needed, etc.
- Check your email inbox for an email from the Undergraduate Faculty Advisor, John Carriero, with the address being firstname.lastname@example.org to view the grade and feedback.
If you would like to petition a transfer course in philosophy for GE credit, contact your main counseling unit (College Academic Counseling, AAP, Honors, or Athletics). The Philosophy Department is not involved in approving GE petitions.
UCLA Summer Sessions has a guide for incoming freshmen and transfer students that may be helpful to review. New students who would like to enroll in philosophy courses this summer should contact Doug Myers at email@example.com for advising prior to enrolling. Transfer students should prove a copy of their unofficial transcript(s).
Detailed descriptions of our summer courses can be found here.