- PhD, Rutgers (philosophy)
- MPA, Harvard (public administration)
- BA, Morehouse (philosophy)
- The Routledge Companion to the Philosophy of Race. New York: Routledge, 2017 (with Linda Martín Alcoff and Luvell Anderson)
- Black Is Beautiful: A Philosophy of Black Aesthetics. Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2016.
- Race: A Philosophical Introduction. Cambridge, UK: Polity-Blackwell, 2023 (3rd ed.)
- “‘Survival is not a theory’: Afro-Pessimism Transposed” in Michael Kelly and Monique Roelofs, eds., Black Aesthetics and Philosophy (forthcoming).
- “Understanding (Mis)understanding: Sally Be a Lamb,” in Carl Plantinga, ed., Screen Stories and Moral Understanding (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2023).
- “Contemporary Africana Philosophy,” The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Fall 2021 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.).
- “Black Bodies, Black Panther,” in Catherine Botha, ed., African Somaesthetics: Cultures, Feminisms, Politics (Boston: Brill, 2020 – with Sarah DiMaggio, Holly Longair, and Takunda Matose).
- “W. E. B. Du Bois: Afro-Modernism, Expressivism, and the Curse of Centrality,” in African American Political Thought: A Collected History, edited by Melvin Rogers and Jack Turner (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2021).
- “Black Lives Matter and the Ferguson Moment: Toward a Philosophy of Urban Relegation,” Meagher, Sharon M., Noll, Samantha, and Biehl, Joseph S. The Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of the City (New York: Routledge, 2020).
- “Moral Perfectionism.” In To Shape a New World: Essays on the Political Philosophy of Martin Luther King, Jr., edited by Tommie Shelby and Brandon Terry. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2018.
- “Race in/and the Philosophy of Literature.” In The Routledge Companion to Philosophy of Literature, edited by Noel Carroll and John Gibson. New York: Routledge, 2016.
- “Towards a Decolonial Analytic Philosophy: Institutional Corruption and Epistemic Culture.” In Being at Home: Race, Institutional Culture, and Transformation at South African Higher Education Institutions, edited by Sally Matthews and Pedro Tabensky. Durban, South Africa: University of KwaZulu-Natal Press, 2015.
- Philosophy of Race and Racism
- Philosophy of Film
- Aesthetics and the Philosophy of Culture
- Critical Race Aesthetics
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Africana Philosophy
- Philosophy of Sport