B.A., Yale University (2005)
Ph.D., Rutgers University (2011)
Please visit my personal website for pdfs, abstracts, and works in progress.
Published and forthcoming:
- “Map Semantics and the Geography of Meaning,” Handbook of Applied Philosophy of Language, OUP.
- “Review of John Kulvicki’s Modelling the Meaning of Pictures,” Philosophical Review.
- “Showing Seeing in Film,” Ergo, 7:27 (2021): 730-756. (with Sam Cumming, Rory Kelly, and Elsi Kaiser)
- “Semantics of Pictorial Space,” Review of Philosophy and Psychology (2021).
- “Counterfactuals and Modality,” Linguistics and Philosophy (2021).
- “Tagging: Semantics at the Iconic/Symbolic Interface,” Proceedings of the 22nd Amsterdam Colloquium (2019): 11-20.
- “Content and Target in Pictorial Representation,” Ergo, 5:33 (2018): 865-898. “Conventions of Viewpoint Coherence in Film,” Philosopher’s Imprint, 17:1 (2017): 1-28. (with Sam Cumming and Rory Kelly)
- “Varieties of Iconicity,” Review of Philosophy and Psychology, 6:1 (2015): 1-25. (with Valeria Giardino)
- “Beyond Resemblance,” Philosophical Review 122:2 (2013): 215-287.
Work in progress:
- “The Iconic-Symbolic Spectrum” (under review)
- “The Structure of Visual Content” (under review)
- “The Semantics of Face Emoji in Discourse” (under review, with Patrick Grosz, Elsi Kaiser, and Christian De Leon)
- “Iconic and Symbolic Representation” (book project, under contract with OUP)
- “Visual Objects”
I regularly teach the following undergraduate courses:
- Philosophy 7: Introduction to Philosophy of Mind
- Philosophy 133: Computational Theory of Mind
- Philosophy 161: Visual Representation
I’ve taught the following graduate seminars:
- Emotions and their Expression
- Non-Linguistic Representation
- Visual Narrative (with Sam Cumming, UCLA Philosophy)
- Visual Objects
- 80’s Classics (aka Naturalizing Intentionality)
- Iconic and Symbolic Representation
- Semantics of Irreality (with Jessica Rett, UCLA Linguistics)
- Pictorial Semantics
- Cognition and Computation