Ph.D., Harvard (1976)
- “Being Helped and Being Grateful: Imperfect Duties, the Ethics of Possession, and the Unity of Morality,” Journal of Philosophy, June 2012.
- “A Mismatch of Methods,” in Derek Parfit’s On What Matters, Volume II, ed. Samuel Scheffler, Oxford University Press, 2011.
- “The Difference that Ends Make,” in Perfecting Virtue: Kantian Ethics and Virtue Ethics, ed. Julian Wuerth, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- “Morality and Moral Theory,” John Dewey Lecture, Proceedings and Addresses of the American Philosophical Association, Vol. 83, No. 2, November 2009.
- “A Habitat for Humanity,” in Kant’s Idea for A Universal History, eds. A. O Rorty and J. Schmidt, Cambridge University Press, 2009
- “Contingency at Ground Level,” in Moral Universalism and Pluralism, eds. Henry Richardson and Melissa Williams, NOMOS XLIX, NYU Press, 2008
- “Morality Unbounded,” Philosophy and Public Affairs, Fall 2008.
- “Reasoning to Obligation,” Inquiry 49 no. 1 February 2006
- “The Scope of Moral Requirement,” Philosophy and Public Affairs, Summer 2001.
- “Bootstrapping,” in Contours of Agency: Essays for Harry Frankfurt, eds. S. Buss & L. Overold (MIT Press, 2002).
- “Rethinking Kant?s Hedonism,” in Facts and Values: Essays for Judith Thomson, eds. R. Stalnaker, R. Wedgwood, & A. Byrne (MIT Press, 2001).
- “Morality and Everyday Life,” in Proceedings of the American Philosophical Association, Nov. 2000.
- “Moral Literacy,” in The Tanner Lectures on Human Value, volume 19 (University of Utah Press, 1998).
- “Training to Autonomy: Kant and the Question of Moral Education,” in Philosophers on Education, ed.A. O. Rorty (Routledge, 1998).
- “A Cosmopolitan Kingdom of Ends,” in Reclaiming the History of Ethics, eds. A. Reath, C. Korsgaard, & B. Herman (Cambridge University Press, 1997).
- “Making Room for Character,” in Aristotle, Kant, and the Stoics, eds. S. Engstrom & J. Whiting, (Cambridge University Press, 1996).
- “Pluralism and the Community of Moral Judgment,” in Toleration: An Elusive Virtue, ed. David Heyd (Princeton University Press, 1996).
- “Could It Be Worth Thinking About Kant on Sex and Marriage?” in A Mind of One’s Own, eds. Louise Antony and Charlotte Witt, Westview Press, 1993